Sunday, January 17, 2016

A poem

Him

If I say I have no regrets
That might not be entirely true. 

He was married. 
I was not. 
We were friends
And then we were more. 

He travelled. 
We saw each other 
Only sometimes. 
And phone calls
Just checking in. 

I loved him, but not enough 
To want him daily. 
He was easy. 
Because he was hers. 
Not mine. 

But one day he showed up
At my door 
With sorrow and confusion
Sitting on his shoulders 
Like a heavy winter coat. 

I'm dying
He said. 
She's being selfish, worrying
About what her life will be 
Without me. 

I'm the one dying. 
I can't hold her up  
Because I'm crumbling. 
But I need to keep
All my pieces together. 

He sat on my steps
And cried tough guy tears. 
And in that moment
I fell in love with his
Dying soul. 

I drove him away 
On a foggy morning. 
'You mean the world to me.' 
The last words I heard him speak. 

All these years later
I know that sometimes
The world isn't enough. 
That regrets are floating there
In the fog. 

- kjsmith







No comments:

Post a Comment