Monday, November 11, 2013

Blue.



 My "shoe thing" started when I was about 13 or 14 years old. I remember the moment. Sitting at the kitchen table flipping through the latest issue of Seventeen magazine ...or maybe it was Ti
ger Beat... I turned the page and there they were. Blue suede Mary-Janes with dark blue trim and a little flower design on the toe in the same darker blue suede as the trim. I remember the feelings wrapped up in that moment. Wonder that something so lovely could exist...Lust so overwhelming I had a knot in my stomach for want of those shoes...Sadness at the reality of knowing I could never own them because my parents simply couldn't afford the extravagance of blue shoes. That was the only time I ever asked my mom for something specific that I knew she couldn't give me. But the shoes were so pretty I simply had to ask...of course she said no....I didn't need shoes...the pair I had were fine. I tore that page out of the magazine and kept it for years.

My first job right out of high-school? Working in a shoe store. Sometimes the universe just throws something wonderful right in your lap. My fate was sealed. I was officially a shoe freak.
I'm thinking maybe next week I'll go shopping...feeling a need to be extravagant...maybe in blue shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment